A Message from Jem, the Crazy Pigeon Lady
A warm welcome to my new Blog, The Crazy Pigeon Lady! My name is Jem and if you haven’t guessed yet, I love all things pigeon and dove: I am a self-confessed Columbiphile! To find out more about me and Lola, check out the About page.
If you love pigeons and doves then you have come to the right place! Even if you’re not a fan right now, I hope that through this Blog you will come to a better understanding and appreciation of these amazing birds!
When you think ‘pigeon’, your thoughts probably turn to those sometimes scruffy-looking blue-grey birds on the streets of your nearest city or town; but what you may not know is that there are over 300 species of Pigeons and Doves (Columbids) covering virtually every continent of the world! Far from being dull and dirty, many Pigeons and Doves sport a beautiful array of patterns and colours and may be as small as a sparrow, or as big as a turkey!
Through this Blog, my Facebook page (@TheCrazyPigeonLady) and my personal work as a bird-lover, artist, poet and speaker, my goals are to:
- Entertain, educate and inspire people with all things pigeon and dove
- Support work that protects and improves the lives of pigeons and doves around the world
- Challenge myths and prejudices to increase understanding and appreciation for the humble feral pigeon
- Help support and increase the profile of fellow Columbiphiles who share my goals
What You Can Expect
On this Blog and the accompanying Facebook page, you can expect to find entertaining, educational and inspiring articles about pigeons and doves across many genres including: nature, science, art, history, literature and more!
Planned articles and features include reports on ‘field trips’ to sites of pigeon/dove-related interest; book reviews; spotlight on columbids and columbiphiles; pet pigeons, pigeon/dove conservation and charity work, pigeon related art projects and much more!
Columbiphiles of the world unite! If you share my passion for pigeons and doves and share my goals, you can support by:
- Commenting on Blog articles
- Sharing Blog articles via your Social Media and encouraging your fellow Columbiphiles to check us out!
- Liking the Facebook page, sharing it with your friends and sharing Facebook posts about articles on the Blog
- Suggesting topics for future articles – email me using the contact details on this page
- Drawing my attention to places, people and organisations of pigeon/dove related interest that I may not have discovered yet – drop me an email!
Most of all, I hope you enjoy the Blog and enjoy exploring your interest in Pigeons and Doves!